- Carbonated drinks are refreshing and may provide a quick energy boost from their sugar to caffeine,
- Sipping ginger ale or cola can help to quell nausea and provide energy for people unable to take solid food.
- Contain large amounts of sugar and acids that can lead to weight gain and dental decay.
- High phosphorus content may interfere with calcium absorption
- Caffeine may cause health problems in adults or behavior and development problems in children.
Carbonated waters were originally invented to cash in on an 18th-century fad for naturally sparkling mineral water. The taste for carbonated drinks (originally hangover cures) has never faltered; indeed, the average North American consumes about 48 gallons ( 182 liters) a year.