- Enrichd varieties provide B vitamins and iron.
- Makes a complete protein when combined with beans and other legumes.
- Gluten-free and suitable for people with celiac disease.
- Easy to digest and useful in restoring bowel function after a bout of diarrhea.
- Rarely, if ever, cause food allergies.
Ninety percent of the calories in rice come from carbohydrates. A half cup of white rice contains about 80 to 100 calories, while brown rice may have 105 to 110, Brown rice is significantly higher in fiber, with 1.6 g per half cup compared to 0.03 g in the same volume of white rice Brown rice also contains more selenium, vitamin E, magnesium, phosphorus, and manganese. The protein content of rie, ranging from 2.0 to 2.5 mg per half cup, is less than that of other cereals, but the amino acid balance is superior to that of other grains. Processed rice contains only a trace of fat and no sodium,
Rice has a binding effect in diarrhea, and as such, is part of the BRAT (for banana, rice applesauce, and toast) diet. It helps restore normal bowel function and provides needed energy for someone recoverring form diarrhea. Rice pudding made with low-fat milk and flavored with cinnamon is a soothing, easy-to-digest dish for convalescents..