- Fat-free and very low in calories.
- Rich in minerals.
- Some are rich in plant chemicals, which may boost immune functions.
- Wild mushrooms may be poisonous.
- Truffles are expensive because they can't be cultivated as crops
All types of mushrooms, as well as truffles, are classified as fungi. They are primitive plants that cannot obtain energy through photosynthesis and therefore draw their nutrients from humus, the partially decomposed tissues of more complex vegetation. Many varieties of fungi live symbiotically with trees. The fungus draws sugars from the tree roots. while at the same time supplying the tree with minerals, such as phosphorus, which it gets from the soil more efficiently that the tree.
Mushrooms and truffles have another unique feature, Therir cell walls are made of chitin, the same material that forms the external skeleton of insects, By contrast, higher plants, cell walls are composed of cellulose, which we value not as a nutrient (humans can't digest cellulose) but as fiber that promotes the elimination of digestive waste.
DID YOU KNOW ?
MUSHROOMS GROW LIKE MAGIC
If not picked, a white button mushroom will double in size every 20 hours. First it becomes a closed cup mushroom, then the cup opens to show the brown gills. If left indisturbed, it grows on to becomes a large flat mushrooms with open gills. As the mushroom increases in size its flavor increases.
A Good substiture for meat in many recipes, mushrooms cna be combined with grains to make a meatless "meat" loaf. They are also appetizing and nutrutious on their own. Extremely how in calories( a half cup contains only 10 ), mushrooms are virtualy fat-free and valuable source of dietary fiber. They provide good amounts of potassium, selenium, riboflavin, thiamin, folate, B6, and zine. Tehy are also one of the best plant-based sources of niacin. Three ounces (85 g) of portabellon mushrooms provide almost 20 percent of the daily niacin requirement, The same-size serving of white mushrooms provides 17 percent, while shiitakes yield 6 percent.
CAUTION : Some wild mushrooms, although safe to eat on their own, can be deadly when consumed with alcohol..