- High in vitamin C and potassium.
- Pink and red vatieties contain beta carotene and lycopene, both powerful antioxidants.
- Low in calories
- Contain bioflavonoids and other plant chemicals that protect against cancer and heart disease.
- Can provoke an allergic reaction in people senstive to citrus fruits.
- Grapefruit juice can reduce the effectiveness of certain medications.
Grapefruit juice should not be used to take certain medications. Compounds in the juice enhance the effects of the drug, possibly resulting in adverse effects. Drugs to watch out for include the blood-pressure lowering medication felodipine, as well as drugs for anxiety, depression, high blood pressure, elevated lipids and more. As a precaution, it is best to avoid taking any drug with grapefruit juice until you have asked your doctor or pharmacist if it is safe to do so..