B E E T S
BENEFITS : -
- A Source of folate, fiber and potassium.
- The greens are a rich source of potassium, calcium , iron, beta carotene, and vitamin C,
- Low in calories.
- Rich in phytochemicals such as anthocyanins and saponins, which may bind cholesterol in the digestive tract, lowering the risk for heart disease.
DRAWBACKS : -
- Turn urine and stools red, a harmless condition that nonetheless alarms people who mistake it for blood.
- If prone to kidney stones or gout, avoid beet greens as they are high in oxalates. Oxalates can form small crystals and contribute to the development of kidney stones.
Beets are a highly versatile vegetable. They can be cooked and served as a side dish, pickled and eaten as a salad or condiment, or used as the main ingredient in borscht, a popular Eastern European soup. Beet greens, the most nutritious part of the vegetable, can be cooked and served like spinach or Swiss chard..